After a long, seemingly endless winter, summer is well and truly upon us! For many Melburnians, camping is the perfect way to embrace the warm weather and spend some much-needed time out in nature. With so many stunning camping spots located around the city, it can be hard to choose just one!
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore five summer camping locations near Melbourne, each with its unique charm and appeal. From the clear waters of Tidal River to the surfers' haven at Johanna Beach, these spots promise a perfect blend of nature and adventure.
Before we delve into the specifics of each location, let's start with some general advice for making the most of your camping trip.
Planning and Booking Ahead:
- Popular Spots: Melbourne's proximity to these camping locations means they are often in high demand, especially during the summer. Plan your trip well in advance and make reservations (if needed) to secure your spot.
Essential Camping Gear:
- Quality Equipment: Invest in high-quality camping gear, including a durable tent, sleeping bags, and cooking equipment. Ensure your gear is suitable for the specific conditions of the chosen campsite. If you're after camping lights, sleeping bags or tents? Camping Adventures is home to camping supplies and camping accessories for Melbourne adventurers.
Provisions and Supplies:
- Food and Water: While some campsites provide facilities like gas barbecues, it's essential to bring sufficient food and water supplies. Plan your meals ahead and consider any dietary restrictions or preferences.
- Emergency Kit: Pack a basic first aid kit, insect repellent, and any necessary medications. Familiarise yourself with the location's emergency procedures and carry a map or GPS device.
- Leave No Trace: Embrace the principles of "Leave No Trace" camping. Dispose of waste responsibly, respect wildlife, and follow all campground rules. Leave the natural beauty for others to enjoy.
Check Weather Conditions:
- Seasonal Considerations: Melbourne's summer can bring varying weather conditions. Check the weather forecast for your chosen camping dates and pack accordingly. Be prepared for warm days and cooler nights.
Connect with Locals:
- Explore Surrounding Areas: While camping, take the opportunity to explore the nearby towns and attractions. Connect with locals to discover hidden gems and get insights into the best experiences the region has to offer.
Now that we've covered some general advice, let's dive into the specifics of each camping location, exploring the beauty and unique offerings of Tidal River Campground, BIG4 Phillip Island Caravan Park, Marengo Holiday Park, Johanna Beach, and Cape Conran.
1. Tidal River Campground
Situated in the heart of Wilsons Promontory, Tidal River Campground stands out as one of the best camping spots in Victoria. With the crystal-clear waters of Tidal River on one side and the pristine Norman Beach on the other, it's a camper's paradise. Booking ahead is essential, given its immense popularity. Offering nearly 500 tent spaces, the campground provides modern amenities, including gas barbecues, hot showers, and even a pop-up cinema. Perfect for those who appreciate a touch of luxury in the midst of nature.
2. BIG4 Phillip Island Caravan Park
For an unforgettable encounter with Phillip Island's fairy penguins and friendly koalas, BIG4 Phillip Island Caravan Park is the go-to spot. Nestled in a nature reserve near Newhaven Beach, this campground offers excellent facilities, including toilets, showers, laundry service, and even recreational activities like volleyball and basketball. Given its proximity to Melbourne, just an hour away, it's an ideal choice for a quick escape into nature without straying too far.
3. Marengo Holiday Park
A slight drive from Melbourne, Marengo Holiday Park along the Great Ocean Road in Apollo Bay offers a comfortable camping experience. Positioned just 50 meters from the beach, it combines the beauty of nature with modern conveniences. Boasting good WIFI coverage, cozy cabins, barbecue facilities, an adventure playground, and a spacious Camp Kitchen, Marengo is particularly welcoming to camping enthusiasts, including families and those with furry companions.
4. Johanna Beach
Johanna Beach, a classic camping spot along the Great Ocean Road, stands strong as one of the best camping spots in 2023. Known for its role as a backup location for the World Surf League championships, this quiet spot among the sand dunes is a surfer's haven. While it's a free camping site, it lacks power, making it a genuine back-to-basics experience. The slightly uneven surface and steep slope toward the beach add to its charm, creating a haven for surf and nature lovers.
If you're camping on the beach, it's worthwhile investing in quality camping accessories from our Melbourne store. Camping Adventures carries a number of camping chairs, cooking utensils and lightweight gear that will really level up your experience.
5. Cape Conran
Located near Marlo in East Gippsland, Cape Conran offers a vast coastal park with campgrounds just 100 meters from the beach. With about 135 campsites spread over 1km, it's advisable to plan early, especially during the Christmas ballot and Easter bookings. Despite the popularity, Cape Conran is worth the effort, providing some of the most beautiful beach spots beyond Lakes Entrance. Don't miss the hike down to Salmon Rocks for a breathtaking photo opportunity.
Whether you prefer the luxury of Tidal River, the wildlife encounters at BIG4 Phillip Island Caravan Park, the comfortable experience at Marengo Holiday Park, the surfing haven at Johanna Beach, or the coastal charm of Cape Conran, these spots promise memorable camping experiences. So, pack your bags, grab your camping gear, and get ready to explore the best that Victoria's camping scene has to offer! As always, remember to follow the general advice provided to ensure a safe, enjoyable, and unforgettable camping adventure.
Shop Camping Accessories in Melbourne
Camping Adventures is the top destination for camping accessories in Melbourne. With a lifelong passion for camping, caravanning and 4-wheel driving, there is no business more qualified to help with your purchases or queries. Simply browse online, pop into our physical store or call (03) 9708 2946 to chat about your next camping adventure.